Thursday, September 29, 2011

Or Nue Glove Cuff

After working on the Noblesse Largess project, yesterday, I gave some thought to the glove cuff I've been working on for my Guy.  I had hoped to have it finished as a thank you to him for all of his help with my challenge, a year ago at Harvest Raid.  However, I ran into a bit of a block, trying to lay the wings on my device.  The tower was pretty simple; I couched the silver horizontally and vertically, to help with the illusion of a three dimensional image.  However, wings are a different creature, altogether.  I tried a few different orientations for the silver, but none really looked right.

I did not have this problem with the or nue dragon's wings, as they are more angular and were mostly comprised of bones, with shaded webs between.  The wings on my device, however, are feathered wings.  As I played with them, today, I think I have settled on following the pattern of each, individual feather, shading them from top to bottom, as the top of each feather is overlapped by the feather above.

I have seen two types of shading in or nue; monochromatic and polychromatic.  Shading can be acheived by using grades of a color, which is polychromatic, or by using one color and adjusting the closeness of the couching stitches to obtain "darker" color.  On the following picture, you can see that I have used monochromatic shading on the tower, by stitching the couching stitches closer together at the edges, so that the tower appears more rounded.  I had thought of using polychromatic shading on the wings, but ultimately decided that would look funny, since the rest of the device is shaded using one color.  Hopefully, I now have the wings figured out and I can get cracking on finishing this glove cuff!

Current progress:

Earlier today, I sank all of the metal edges that can be seen in yesterday's post.  Cleaning up the ends, I can better see what I am doing ; )


  1. I have an idea. Looking in zoom at your wings, they look fine stitch-orientated wise - but they'll all 'meld' together unless you vary the orientation......or put a line or two of or nue down using black (or other) coloured thread for each wing part. This is the way the scales on my new project (The Bishop's Cope) for the dragon are individualised.

  2. Elmsley Rose, that is an excellent idea! That is part of the block that I have been taking issue with. Once I figured out a directional orientation I liked, I wasn't certain quite how to differentiate between the feathers. I do have some darker gray that might make the outline less severe than black. I will play with it and see : )