Wednesday, June 20, 2012
An Afternoon Project
I was at the Western Homestead, and the project I needed to work on was at the Eastern Homestead. So, needing to find something to do (idle hands are the devil's workshop ; ) I decided to make a new coif-St. Brigitta's cap. Only, I wanted to embroider mine, so that I might be appropriate for the Viking Village.
First step was constructing the coif. I hand sewed all the edges, hemming them first, and then used the Vandyke stitch to join the two pieces together, using two strands of Splendor silk.
I found some trim designs from a dig at Birka, that I traced onto the linen. Again, using Splendor silk, I embroidered the Birka design along the edge of the coif. I added another wave like design for contrast, in a 60/2 silk thread from White Wolf and the Phoenix.
It is not fully finished, yet, but I am using it as afternoon fodder when I need a break from other projects. Overall, I am pretty pleased!!