Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Embroidered Nightcap, part 2

After doing a bit of research and reflection, I've found what my pattern was missing!  Take a look at this close up of an extant coif from the V&A museum:
(found here: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/va/coifs/blackgoldcloseup2.jpg)


The vines are filled with what looks (on cursory glance) as plaited braid stitch, and the motifs use speckle stitching for shading.  I am hoping to use this as inspiration on the nightcap, as it was sorely lacking in *something*.  I think the gold will look beautiful against the teal silk : )

4 comments:

  1. Ah, yes! I think that will be spot on. And perhaps the leave veins in gold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the leaf veins in gold sounds beautiful! I think I shall work it in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at your last entry and decided that the design was a repeated border at the base of the cap. If you are talking vines - obviously not.

    May we see a copy of the full design?

    And your inspiration piece is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gold and teal will make a glorious combination - I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete