Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Rose is a Rose

Greetings, various and sundry!

This week has been intensive; I was a might bit inundated with schoolwork.  I am in the final throes of my masters degree in public administration, (law and public policy, specifically) and between schoolwork and high fatigue, I was shying away from my computer.  The good news is, I have been working every free moment on this week's motif of the week-a Tudor rose!

I am very enamored of the Tudor and Elizabethan eras in history, as you've probably guessed by now.  I've embroidered many a rose over the last two years, since they were so popular in Elizabethan embroidery.  Normally I embroider them using detached buttonhole stitches, but this week, I've added leaves embroidered with satin stitches. 


The darker green inside the leaf is stitched using a basketweave style of satin stitching.  It looks messy and I am not yet beyond taking the stitches out and just embroidering them with straight satin.  The lighter part of the leaf is plain, old satin stitch. 

It is my goal to have this motif finished by Friday.  Unfortunately, with Pennsic looming in the near distance, I have a project list a mile long...

1 comment:

  1. It's an argument whether it's messy, or it adds texture.

    What do you mean by 'a basketweave sort of satin stitch' ? *curious*

    ReplyDelete