Thursday, June 30, 2011

Coif Patterns

Several years ago, I worked up these sewing patterns for Tudor and Elizabethan coifs.  I thought it might be nice to post them here, since I do a lot of embroidery on small projects, like coifs. 

The final pattern on this blog post is a pattern that, historically, has the most embroidery.  You can find pictures of extant pieces on this site:

http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/coifpics.html

The forehead clothe is warn under the final coif pattern below.  The shaped forehead clothe is usually warn with, what I affectionately call, the "ear wing" coif:


This next pattern is a plain brimmed coif.  I like this one because it sews up easy and stays on my head, no matter how active I get.  You may remember a few blog posts back where I posted about embroidered joins.  The coif picture from that blog is made from this pattern:


And finally, the iconic Elizabethan coif!  I have played around with the measurements on this pattern, so that some of my coifs are more "baggy" than others.  They are very comfortable to wear, and can be embroidered pretty heavily, as shown in the coif gallery link above.


11 comments:

  1. there are NO images attached anymore... :(
    PLEASE Re-UPLOAD, and use another uploader, like POSTIMAGE.org
    Your wonderful efforts are being lost. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please repost these photos. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another request for photos. They would be OH, so helpful to so many!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commenters, you want to see those photos? Drift your mouse over the blank area, and once your arrow turns into a hand, right-click and open the photo in another tab. I'm currently working on coif #2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, your suggestion regarding the mouse is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to see those photos- Drift your mouse over the upper right of the blank area, until your arrow turns into a hand, right-click and select "open link in new tab".
    (It worked for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! Thank you for sharing your coif pattern ideas. These will be a big help with my current project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - I'm interested in making these but can't see any patterns, just text. Any chance you could email me the patterns? I do appreciate that this is an old post, but if you can still lay your hands on them, that would be great. contact@lynnechapman.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just to repeat, a link is in the centre of the gap. Position your mouse at one top corner, and hold the left button down while you run it down to the opposite bottom corner. This selects everything in between, which is the link to the images, stored elsewhere on the web. They are:
    http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/coifpics.html
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wM8KcfpYdko/Tg1Smw4RS6I/AAAAAAAAAjA/cULW8dv1xTo/s1600/coif+1+003.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XzEvgKbzxxQ/Tg1S8jyGdEI/AAAAAAAAAjE/j_S2lQEOHp4/s1600/coif+1+002.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bxh_jjUkfcc/Tg1TFUx1k1I/AAAAAAAAAjI/zmdD4HVI3-M/s1600/coif+1+004.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made this bonnet! (the brimmed one) it's the first bonnet I've made and the first time I've scaled a pattern on a grid! It turned out so nicely and if you can't tell I'm thrilled. Thank you for having this up for everyone <3

    ReplyDelete